Monday 30 July 2007

Wharfingers and Gangoozlers


Last week, the floods and bad weather did their best, and I set out to challenge myself to negotiate the remaining traces of public transport to get to Banbury. (view from train)

I met local historian Brian Little, who was a fount of knowledge on all things Banbury, and told me that the Wharfingers were people who ran the wharfs, most of which are now gone. Brian agreed to join forces for Canal Day, to adapt his usual walking tour to take in video and sound installations, which I will create for the day.


Later on that week I interviewed Ed Hart, an Oxford boat resident who taught me another new word, Gangoozlers, a name for passers by who stop and stare as boaters struggle their way through tricky locks etc. Am now warned and will no longer stand and stare on the bank for fear of the boaters wrath.

Sadly my plan to walk up the towpath from Oxford to Banbury had to be postponed, as parts of the canal towpath were still under water and the clouds were threatening once again...

2 comments:

nine9feet said...

Interesting how words have variations. Everyone I know on the cut uses the word gOngoozler to denote those who gather to watch boats- primarily at locks and lock flights like Foxton. See, for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gongoozler

Katy Beinart said...

I think that must be my mistake! Apologies- I will post up a correction in my next blog entry.